Lincoln was without professional baseball from 1918 through the 1921 season. They were in the class "A" Western league in 1917, but financial difficulties caused the franchise to fold after the season.
In 1922, the class "D" Nebraska State League was resurrected. While Lincoln was one of the franchises in the league they did not have a home ball park. Antelope Park, the former home of the Lincoln teams during their stint in the Western League had burned and there was no suitable place for the team.
Buck Beltzer built a park for the team near 2nd and P street. He named the park Landis Field after Judge Landis the commissioner of baseball. Another challenge to the Lincoln franchise was the organized opposition to Sunday baseball.
Lincoln was in the NSL for two years. At the end of the 1923 season, the Western League returned to Lincoln. Through an interesting set of moves the Lincoln territory was moved from the domain of the NSL to the domain of the Western League. Buck Beltzer was shut out of the proceedings. His team was essentially disbanded by organized baseball as they awarded the Western League franchise to another person. Buck wound up leasing his ballpark to the new Lincoln team.
Lincoln 1922 Lincoln 1923
Lincoln lost their Western League franchise after the 1927 season and they were back in the Nebraska State League in 1928.
Nebraska Minor League Home