Nebraska Minor League Baseball
Nebraska State League

The second iteration of the Nebraska State League lasted two years (1922-1923). It then morphed into the Tri-State League in 1924. The Tri-State League did not last a season. The league was dormant until 1928 when it was resurrected and survived until WWII.

Nebraska State League
Standings 1922
President: Clarence Miles
Standings Wins----- Losses--- GB
Norfolk Elkhorns 29-41 29-19 --
Lincoln Links 34-36 25-24 --
Fairbury Jeffersons 37-32 21-28
Beatrice Blues 25-28 31-32
Hastings Cubs 29-23 29-38
Grand Island Champions 20-20 39-39

Fairbury won the first half with 37 wins.
Norfolk won the second half with 41 wins.
Lincoln was second in both halves.
Playoff: Fairbury 4 games;Norfolk 3.

BA: Cliff Marr, Norfolk, .364
Runs: Cliff Marr, Norfolk, 116
Hits: Cliff Marr, Norfolk, 167
HRs: Claude Mitchell, Norfolk, 21
Wins: Bill Bailey, Lincoln, 23
SOs: Fred Wigington, Hastings, 260
Pct: L. W. Jenney, Fairbury, .773, 17-5

The league directorate, consisting of one delegate from each city, decided on a 5 to 1 vote to have a split season. While meeting in Hastings in March, they appointed Cy Sherman, Charles Moon and George Seagrist to make up the schedule. A scale of admission prices was set at 35 cents for the bleachers and 55 cents for the grandstand. The war tax was the responsibility of the home team. For each game the visiting team was to be paid a flat guarantee of $40.00. Holiday games on July 4th and Labor day had their gates pooled and the revenue divided equally between the teams.

Lincoln had no stadium at the start of 1922. The "M" Street (Antelope Park) stands had burned and the city did not replace the grandstand. Buck Beltzer built a new field and called it Landis Field near 2nd and P St.

As the season began, Lincoln and Fairbury travelled by automobile while Norfolk continued to travel by train. In June, the Norfolk franchise bought three Fords and estimated that they would save over $1,000 in travel costs for the remainder of the season.

Lincoln shut out Hastings in a three game series on May 28-29. Railey won the first game of the series 1-0 on a two hit shutout. The second game went to Pickett 3-0. He allowed three hits. Norris pitched a two hit shutout (2-0) in the third to sweep the series.

Bill Bailey was a 33 year old pitcher who started the season with St. Louis(NL). The eleven year major league veteran had two bad starts. St. Louis released him and he was signed by Lincoln. The Arkansas lefty had 249 strike outs in 278 innings of work for Lincoln.

George Segrist of Sioux City operated the Fairbury club. His team won the first half of the season with Norfolk winning the second. The playoffs went to seven games. Playing in Fairbury, the home team was behind 3-2 going into the bottom of the ninth. Rooney singled to center to open the Fairbury ninth. Wimbush sacrificed Rooney to second. McDermott singled, scoring Rooney to tie the game. Bliss singled and McDermott moved to third. Reichle's squeeze bunt scored McDermott and Fairbury was the 1922 Nebraska League Champion.

Fred Wigington was a 24 year old right handed pitcher from Rogers Nebraska. He led the Hastings team with a record of 18-11 and led the league in strike outs with 260. He made it to the St. Louis Cardinals in 1923 and pitched 8.3 innings in the major leagues.

By Speece was 14-9 for Norfolk in 1922. He played for Omaha in the Western League in 1923. The right handed pitcher from West Baden Indiana made his major league debut with Washington in the American League in 1924. He had a four year major league career with three different teams.

Norfolk won the second half and had the best overall record but lost to Fairbury in the playoffs.

Norfolk Elkhorns 1922 Lincoln Links 1922
Fairbury Jeffersons 1922 Beatrice Blues 1922
Hastings Cubs 1922 Grand Island Champions 1922

Nebraska Minor League Baseball Home