Professional baseball returned to York in 1928. York had been a member of the Nebraska State League in 1915 when the league collapsed but had not participated in the 1922-24 attempts to restart the league.
The York Daily News sponsored a contest to name the new Nebraska State
franchise. The name "Dukes" was selected and Mr. Ezra McCormick of 128
was the winner of two free tickets to the opening game. Other entries
Beavers, Panthers, Tommies, Plezalls and HillToppers.
Games were played at East Hill Park. The picture at right shows the well manicured ball diamond that exists there today.
The York franchise moved to Beatrice at the end of the 1931 season.
Current Ball Diamond
at East Hill Park
|Nebraska Minor League Baseball Home|